Yoga & Sattvic Food
Sattvic Food: Our diet and food routine plays an important role in our lifestyle. The right type of food is necessary to know if you want sufficient energy to perform your daily chores. When you are practicing an art like Yoga then it matters most what you are eating. Yoga is a divine practice and definitely it needs positive energy to perform such an art. Moreover, while practicing something, it is much necessary that you are having the stamina and power which is needed to do that. In short, there is a specific yogic diet which makes it easy for you to go with the flow in yoga.
Yoga is an ancient art, so, we need to explore the roots of our history in order to search for the best diet for yoga.
Bhagavad Gita 17.8: Verse 8 says,
रस्याः स्निग्धाः स्थिरा हृद्या आहाराः सात्त्विकप्रियाः।।17.8।।
rasyāḥ snigdhāḥ sthirā hṛdyā āhārāḥ sāttvikapriyāḥ.
Meaning: People with Sattvic quality promote longevity, sattva guna or goodness, strength, energy, vitality, joy, health, delight pleasure and happiness. It provides stability and energy. This is the dear food for pure and healthy people. These types of food as mentioned in Ayurveda and Gita are Fruits, milk, ghee, almonds, cashews, dry fruit oil, sesame seeds and fresh and well-cooked foods.
Discovering the history of yoga, we get to know that Sattvic Food is the best type of food when it comes to quality and a yogic diet. Many people who are promoting and practicing yoga for ages favor the Sattvic meals and have also proven that it is the best for yoga and such physical and spiritual practices.
In the given blog, you will get to know all about Sattvic Diet. Let’s move forward to know it deeply and correctly.
According to Ayurveda, there are three types of food. Sattvic, Rajasic and Tamasic. Rajasic comes under the category of spicy food while Tamasic is non-vegetarian food. Above all this, Sattvic is considered pure, natural and clean food. Recently, Union Health Minister Harsh Vardhan said that everyone has been advised to increase physical activities and eat Sattvic food to stay healthy.
In Yoga Shastra, sattvic food is considered to be the purest food. It is believed that pure, vegetarian and less spicy food can be easily digested. It is advisable to have sattvic food (light) after doing yoga or other exercises. In this, eating onion and garlic is also prohibited. Anger, anxiety, irritability etc. do not come by consuming sattvic food. Onion and garlic are commonly known to increase bad breath and mental stress etc. In this, it is advised to stay away from roast, fried, meat and fish etc.
Sadhus and saints always eat Sattvic style of food. According to Ayurveda, it provides complete nutrition and energy to the body and makes the mind calm. Sattvic food is mostly boiled. The food consumed within 2-3 hours of its getting prepared, then those types of food are also called Sattvic Food.
At the same time, tamasic food increases laziness in the body. Whereas, there is a lot of difficulty in digesting Rajasic food. But, a sattvic diet is considered pure, clean and nutritious.
Benefits of Sattvic Food
- Sattvic diet gives a lot of energy to our bodies.
- In Ayurveda, it is known to make a healthy mind and healthy body.
- Sattvic food is said to be pure, clean and full of nutrients,
- After one age, doctors also advise patients with high blood pressure and blood sugar to take sattvic food. That is, by eating it, we are not at risk of serious diseases like blood pressure and blood sugar.
- Sattvic food is easy to digest. This is the reason why people with weak digestive systems are advised to take sattvic food.
- This food is very light but gives energy to the body.
- Based on the ancient rules of Ayurveda, sattvic food is prepared. It is made by simple and traditional methods.
- Due to this anger, laziness runs away and the mind remains calm and stress-free.
- Fruits, green vegetables, milk etc. are consumed in a sattvic diet which protects the skin from diseases and is also beneficial for the beauty of hair.
- Intellect is sharpened by pure Sattvic food. It is very important for mental development.
Foods That Are Allowed On A Sattvic Diet
- Ground and Sea Vegetables: Carrots, Celery, Potatoes, Broccoli, Lettuce, Peas, Cauliflower, etc.
- Juices and Fruits: Apple, Banana and Papaya.
- Sprouted Grains: Barley, Millet, Quinoa, etc.
- Coconut Products, Nuts and Seeds
- Oils and Fats: Olive oil, sesame oil, red palm oil, Flaxseed oil, linseed oil and ghee
- Non-dairy and dairy products: High-quality yogurt, milk and cheese available from pasture farms such as: almond milk, coconut milk, cashew and nut-based cheeses.
- Bean products and legumes: Lentils, chickpeas, bean sprouts and tofu
- Beverages: Water, fruit juice, non-caffeinated herbal tea
- Sattvic Herbs and Spices: Basil, Coriander and Nutmeg.
- Sweeteners: Honey and Jaggery
Food to Avoid
Sattvic food restrictions forbid the consumption of foods that can be termed as rajasic and tamasic. This is why most animal products, processed foods, refined sugar and fast food are prohibited.